3.02.2009

reading on the clock

We had our 10/12s for tech on Saturday and Sunday for my next show at The Theatre. It's a crazy French farce with more double entendre sex jokes than you think can be put into a 2 hour play. It's crazy hilarious.

Anyways, 10/12s (ten out of twelves) are 12 hour work days (usually from 10am to 10pm) with a 2 hour break for dinner (usually from 3-5). Stage management gets there a half hour early to make sure we're set up for top of show, and we stay after to have a production meeting/tech notes with the artistic team.

During tech, everyone steps through the show cue by cue building in all of the technical elements. For this show, there are extremely large expanses of time when we, the backstage crew (3 PAs and the deck manager), do absolutely nothing. Aside from 2 scene shifts, one of which is at intermission, it's an extremely low tech show, for us work-wise at least.

Usually, tech is our time to READ READ READ to pass the extreme down time. Mind you, it's still busy and tiring down time because we need to be constantly ready to do, fix, handle, etc anything.

Anyways, Friday evening I finally finished The Witches of Eastwick, so I was ready to start a fresh, new book at the top of the day Saturday. I got a birthday coupon from Borders, and bought 2 new books. Now, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm planning on it, but I started The Reader. Can I just say: No wonder Kate Winslet won the Oscar--what an incredible role. Needless to say, the book was amazing, and I can't wait to see the movie.

4 comments:

Beyond Last Call: said...

Deedley-Deet... you bum! Reading on the clock?

Anyway, I totally just got emailed a coupon for IRT. Guess I have an excuse to come see a show!

Beyond Last Call: said...

Wait, nix that. It's just as cheap to buy them at student price.

Anonymous said...

This is Ladies' Man you're talking about, right? Sounds like a good time!

Witches of Eastwick is such a bizarre story. Haven't read the book, but I saw the movie (with Jack Nicholson, Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer and... somebody else) when I was real little and it left a big impression on me. Been meaning to see it again, just to see how it's held up.

theedeeter said...

Yes, yes, I'm talking about The Ladies Man. Hilarious.

I've added the movie to my Netflix queue b/c I've never actually seen it. I'm very curious to see how the 2 pair up.