It's not a trip for a member of the Deeter Family, unless something bad happens or there's a blip on the radar. I took my mom to the airport tonight for her trip to a conference in Chicago/to hang with her sister. Of course my mom getting ready for a trip always causes insanity at my house--it's like the house flips upside down and runs in double time. Anyways, she decides not to pack until she gets home from work today, she left at 3, and her flight was at 7:45...anyways, she got packed in time and we left on time. There are 2 options for getting to 465, the highway that loops around Indy, off of which is the airport, from my house-actually, there are tons of options, but to get to that specific side of town there are only 2. So we pick option #2, and the ramp to 465 is closed. That's just how things roll for us Deeters.
In other travel related news, I'm meeting Fur at his house tomorrow at 2:00 to drive to Chicago because our flight to NYC leaves at 6am (Chicago time) Tursday. We'll have dinner with my mom and aunt and then crash at Fur's sister's place.
Oh and get this. On Monday, I went to my dad's office to get his car and keys so I could go to storage to get my clothes etc that they brought home from South Bend. So I walk into the building and 3 people are standing outside smoking. That's not so bad, I don't judge people who smoke. They decide that they are coming inside when I walk to the door, and they block the entrance. Then I get inside and head to the elevator, and it's obvious that these people want the elevator too, but they are lollygagging behind. So I stand and wait in the elevator holding the door open button for way too long waiting for them. I know, I know--I didn't have to wait for them, but if I didn't then I would have been an asshole, and I'm not like that. They finally get in the elevator, and it's 2 girls and a guy. And he's one of those outgoing in a douchy guys who is incredibly annoying, and generally rude.
I'm wearing my newest Saint Mary's t-shirt (we left South Bend on Sunday, and we made a last stop at the SMC bookstore and I got a new t-shirt and sweatshirt, cuz who knows when I'll be back up there :'( ). So this douchy guy looks at me with a smug look on his face and says "Saint Mary's, is that a real college?" And I ditch the nice, polite girl face, and I assume a "what the hell" face and say "yes." "Oh, well I didn't know...is it one of those nun-colleges?" I just look at him...and one of the girls says "duh, haven't you heard of Saint Mary's of the Woods? gosh. That's it, right?" And I politely say "No, its just a college, not a nun-school, and it's in South Bend...by Notre Dame." and Mr. Douche says "oh, I just figured it was a fake college. Like I went to Phoenix University and got my degree in 4 days." (Disclaimer: I don't necessarily thing Phoenix University is a fake or illegit school, I'm just quoting him.) And I get off the elevator, after looking at them with a nasty face, and walk into the firm.
Ok, so I'm not narcissistic enough to think that everyone knows what or where my beloved SMC is. But I do think that that's a pretty rude and obnoxious thing to say to someone on an elevator, especially while smirking. Also, it kind of puts a damper on a recent graduate's excitement about the future. Does anyone else think that's rude?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
don't worry, new alumna. you'll find that MOST people in the real world actually know of our specific, beloved saint mary's.
i sure hope so :)
Post a Comment