12.09.2008

Young Actors Say The Darndest Things Part 2

Two funny tidbits from my kids from today. (ETA: I'm Kid Wrangling The Theatre's production of A Christmas Carol. I have 2 teams of 5 kids who alternate performances. These are my kids...I do not have biological kids.)

On Neutering or Spaying your Puppy:
TinyTim and Henry Cratchit (7 and 9 years old respectively): discussing their dogs. They realized last week that they both have the same (obscure, never heard of before) breed of dog. No, I can't remember what it is.
Henry: Our dog is still a puppy, I think.
TinyTim: Well our dog can't have puppies.
TinyTim: They gave him that thing.
Me: You mean the surgery?
TinyTim: Yeah.
Me: That's called 'fixing' your dog. ( I called it fixing cuz I can never remember which gender of dog gets which term done to it.)
TinyTim: BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS!!! SO HOW COULD WE FIX HIM!?!?!?!?

On The Lion King (The Musical):
One of the Betsy Cratchits (9 year old girls) went to New York over the weekend to audition for The Lion King. The Betsy from the other team filled in and did both her team's performances and the other team's.

This morning when I gave her a box of her favorite candy for being a rockstar and doing 5 performances in a row (really hard for a 9 year old) AND being the most well behaved and on top of her game kid there, the Peter Cratchit (11 year old boy) on her team told her she should try out for The Lion KingI. (Mind you the Betsy who went to New York is African American.)

To which the rockstar/subbing Betsy replied: I can't; they're all brown.

Now, in all of the InterCultural Studies and Performance Studies classes I took in college, we talked, read, and learned about the moment when a child recognizes race and color, and I've heard friends tell stories about it. But I've never seen someone else experience it, and I don't remember my realization either.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Just so you know... I'm currently working on a show with a guy who used to play Scar in The Lion King. He's a pale redhead (he's playing Van Gogh in a show down here, in fact). So I'm pretty sure that not all the cast is of African descent.

theedeeter said...

Oh yeah. I'm not surprised at all, and I think that there were some white people in the two performances I've seen. I just thought it was funny/interesting that a 9 year old said something like that, and the way she verbally recognized race.