7.28.2008

candle cigars???

My dad was sitting on the porch tonight, very excitedly making playlists on his ipod-something I just taught him yesterday. For someone who is extremely tech-savvy, seems to be able to fix every problem on a computer, rebuilt my old/crashed laptop for my mom, and who always has to have the latest technology, figuring out an ipod and itunes is still a chore.

I abandoned my sort of watching of the Red Sox getting their butts kicked by the Angels while reading to go out and join him and read outside when I realized he was out there.

He went inside and came out with the last 3rd of a cigar and a giant candle lighter-one of those ones with the long metal part so it can reach deep inside a jar or something. While he used the lighter to light his cigar, I had an eerie, out of body moment of deep appreciation and love of my dad. Weird, I know...but it's the oddly funny, and seemingly unclassy, things like this that make me love my family. To top it all off, I know he has a lighter specifically made for lighting cigars out in the garage.
In addition to that heart warming little story, I leave you with additions to the ever growing list of evidence of my addictive personality:

-Google Reader (which has been an obsession for a while, but I thought I'd update you to let you know this addiction continues to thrive)

-DVR-I'd used it in the past, at home and at a friend's apartment in SB, but my appreciation did not thoroughly bud until I officially arrived home this summer.

-TV Shows that may or may not be terrible, but never the less I am addicted to them: Beauty and the Geek, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, Living Lohan, and, most recently, reruns of Gossip Girl. Yes, I realize the many, many things wrong with all of these shows, and that my watching of them only supports them, but at least admitting it is the first step to recovery.

-The Fresh Market. If you have one within 30 miles of you, I suggest you go there. And by suggest, I mean demand. Yes, it's pricey, especially on thins you can find at regular grocery stores or Target, but the stuff unique to them is incredible. And their produce, oh their produce. And did I mention their wine selection???

-And lastly, I think that when I finally have a chance to subscribe to NetFlix, one of my first things to add to my queue will be Gilmore Girls. I've always loved it, but I've never been able to watch it regularly. TV on DVD marathons, here I come!!!

And a completely unrelated picture of people I miss waaay more than is healthy.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I loooooove Gossip Girl. And the guy who played Nellie Yuki's boyfriend? He's one of my good buddies from high school!

theedeeter said...

Whoa, that's so cool! I haven't watched enough to know off the top of my head who that is, but it's still awesome!! I just started watching the reruns on CW a few weeks ago. Of course, now I've set them to record on DVR whenever they are on.