I had started a really creative and funny post as a letter to the person who stole my purse last night as my blog post about it, but then my mom called to tell me he DID use my debit card, so now I'm even MORE pissed and can't think creatively...
So last night, Smiley and I hung out. We went to McAlister's to pick up some food to go, and then we drove down to Holliday Park to have a mini picnic. It was pretty sweet...until we got back to his car. We were gone for 55 minutes exactly (as I can tell by phone calls made). In those 55 minutes, someone managed to break into his car (thankfully without busting out any windows) and steal my purse. They didn't take anything else, just my purse.
At first, I was just thinking "well fuck, this sucks, I'll call my parents, have my mom transfer my $$ to her bank account it's not a HUGE deal." Then, after having to call my house 3 times to get one of my parents to answer, while talking to my mom, I realized that it was the purse that my Grandma Deeter made for my mom when my mom and dad were dating in college (so 25 years ago). My mom gave it to me last summer, and it's one of the 3 purses I use all the time. It was adorable--crocheted (although Melissa and Michaela used the word macromayed (that's a phonetic spellin) when they saw it) and just big enough for a wallet, keys, phone, and bottle of water to fit in snugly. And its handles were 2 wooden rings instead of straps. So not only did I lose an adorable purse, but it was made by my grandmother who died while I was studying abroad, who I was the closest with, who I still miss terribly and think about a few times a week, and who meant the most to me. Come on purse stealing ass wipe, why couldn't you have taken the money and threw the purse on the ground???
What was in the purse that got stolen? Well, luckily on Saturday night when my family and our neighbors went to the theatre to see a show (the theatre I'll be working at starting in August :) ), I carried a tiny purse and took my driver's license, my SMC ID, and my debit card out of my brand new Le Sport Sac wallet from NYC and put them in a tiny card holder, and that's all I had with me wallet wise. There would have been a lot of stuff in that big wallet had it been taken-insurance card, AAA card, voters' reg card, credit card, lots of receipts, etc.
So they got my license, my debit card, and an SMC ID-luckily for me, I lost and found my ID so much while at SMC that I have 2 extras lying around the house. Some tampons, I hope they grossed him out. Yes, I'm assuming it's a he, because any woman that would do that knows how important a purse is to a lady and probably would have just taken the money and the wallet, no? Also my powder compact-and I wear Yves Saint Laurent makeup, so that will be expensive to replace, but it's not as big of a deal cuz, honestly, how often do I wear makeup?
Oh, and the clincher in all of this??? My car/house keys, that included the only key to my family's storage unit, like 10 tags for grocery stores etc, a hand made leather key chain I bought in Rome, the only clicker to my car, and probably something else. Of course I wasn't going to bring my keys, cuz I knew my parents would leave the door unlocked and that we wouldn't be late coming home, but Smiley told me I should always carry my keys, so I took them. Not that I blame him at all. Last night I think he was more upset than I was, which was really sweet. He told me that when I'm with him, it's his responsibility to make sure I'm ok, etc etc. So I'm not mad at him at all, and I'd rather it happen with him than with some one who would have freaked out and made me freak out.
So anyways, all that got stolen, plus, you know, the family heirloom purse, and what does that mean? Well I called my dad right away. My mom got on the computer to transfer my money to her bank account, and then called the bank to report the theft and cancel the card-having a mom who's a VP at your bank has it's perks. Unfortunately my address is on my driver's license, and they have my keys, so that could potentially mean them coming to my house and breaking into the house or stealing my car...yikes. Luckily it's just the front door key, so we can change that lock, and we have a dead bolt and an alarm system. Not to mention 2 dogs who bark at everything and one of them is kind of large and has a terrifying bark. My mom thinks I should look into seeing how much it costs to get the lock/ignition on my car changed. That might be a bit over the top, but we're all being really careful/paranoid about locking the door at our house and turning the alarm on 24/7 now.
Plus I have to go get a new license. Dad came home "not feeling well" today, so he helped my find my social security card, because apparently I need to prove that the ssn associated with my license is mine. I also have a passport, thank you Roma 06, a voter's reg card, 2 SMC ID's, an insurance card, and an international student ID, so they have to believe it's me. I was supposed to help my aunt today, getting her house ready to sell (painting etc), but she told me to take care of my license and what not and we'd work tomorrow. Then I learned that the DMV's are not open on Monday's in Indiana. Thank you jerk off purse snatcher for fucking that up too.
I just don't understand what goes through the mind of a person that does this. I mean, obviously there's no fear of God, because I'm pretty sure not stealing is in the 10 Commandments. Plus no thought to what kind of affect their actions have on other people. Obviously it's naive of me to think there aren't bad people in the world. I guess it's a good thing I believe in Karma. I called the park today to see if it had turned up. It hadn't, but they were very nice and took my name, phone number, and description of purse and said they'd go out and look and call me back right away if they found something. That's nice. It is like the biggest family friendly park in Indy, so safety, etc means a lot to them. Plus the police man who came to file the report last night was nice-he's the one who pointed out that we're lucky they didn't bust in Smiley's windows, which is very true. ALthough it did turn out that he used my debit card at a gas station right away-who knows what else, but I'm surprised it went through, because within 15 minutes of me calling my house, which was exactly 55 minutes after our initial leaving the car, my mom had the card reported and cancelled.
Anyways, needless to say I'm pretty pissed, really upset and emotional, and kind of stressed. ANd I had like 4 other things I wanted to blog about from the last week-baseball games and everything! Balls.
6.23.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
YIKES! That sucks! Sending positive vibes your way.
Post a Comment