It's been an interesting weekend. Thursday I had to see Actors From The London Stage do "The Taming of the Shrew". Normally, I don't derive pleasure from seeing Shakespeare. I appreciate it. I respect it. I understand it's importance. But I don't actively choose it. Not to mention last time I saw AFTLS ("Hamlet") it was terrible and almost unbearable. And I've never read "Shrew" or worked on anything about it. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was really good. I didn't even THINK about falling asleep (I have been known in the worst of situations to try to fall asleep to make it go faster.) nor did I think about anything else. Also, the guy who came to our class on Tuesday was BEAUTIFUL. So it was alright.
Michaela, my boss, asked, nay, BEGGED me to stage manage the Claricello concert this weekend. Yeah it sucked. We had to be there for more than 5 hours Friday night, for more than 4 hours Saturday night, and then early for the concert today. B O R I N G. Plus the music people here are never very grateful for the work we do. So that wasn't fun. PLUS I had this dream last night that my mom was my light board op (for the real thing, I ran th eboard) and was causing all sorts of prblems with the house lights and it was INSANE. Luckily, not the case.
Last night there was a party. A Gatsby themed party. We dressed up. It was fun to bond with my theatre girls here. The last 2 weeks have been insane with the wedding and comp stuff. ANd some more stupid bull shit with smiley went down this weekend. I've been kinda flying this whole thing with him solo, but it was so nice to have their support and listen to them tell me the things i need to hear. When the party wound down, Xtina, Jacob, Carol, Lauren, and I went to steak n shake. We almost got jumped by a group of gang members.
Today was the concert. Blah. And rehearsal. It was bad. I was way off. Distracted by the stupid Claricello stuff, and being angry with him, and other stuff. So I ended it halfway thru. And was back to my room in time to see The Office win a SAG award.
The last thing of importance is taht this week is the THEATRE MAJOR OF THE WEEK week. And, as SAC rep, I had to plan all the events. Everyone who reads this, please come!!!
Monday--Movie night 6-8pm, Moreau 228. Voting on a movie to watch.
Tuesday--Improv/Acting game night. 6-8 or 9pm. Moreau 232.
Wednesday--Dress as your favorite character from a musical or play--all day, everywhere!
Thursday--Theatre Trivia contest night. Prizes! 6-8pm, Moreau 232. If you have any questions to contribute, I'd really appreciate it.
1.27.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sounds like quite the life you've been having. Best of luck with figuring out your next steps after college.
I am sorry that you didnt have a good experience working on the Claricello concert... I imagine Michaela didnt forward my email saying that you and Tony did a great job and acted very professionally towards us. That's too bad. I was also sad that I couldn't thank you afterwards as the crew disappeared quite fast after the concert.
I was impressed that you at least pretended to be interested in making things work and that you took some time to make sure that the concert ran according to plan (yes there were some unfortunate snafus that I wasn't happy about but we didn't have a week of rehearsal either so i can't really complain.)
Having been in/worked on over 60 productions through college, I have a keen respect for the hard work many people put into a theatre show.
It's unfortunate that there is such a rift between the departments. Each could learn so much from each other.
Although a little disapointing, I can't blame you for being bored. Contemporary classical music is an eclectic field that I enjoy but many dont. Like the subtleties of wine tasting or the art of lighting design, modern classical music needs familiarity to understand Hopefully you'll keep your ears open.
On the flipside, its nice that you can earn some money in school stage managing and calling shows - even if you dont like the show - beats flipping burgers. thats for sure.
Well, again, best of luck in the rest of your semester and in whatever you end up doing.
:)
-Jason from Claricello and Adjunct Teacher of Clarinet, Saint Mary's College
Jason, I don't know if you will get this or not, as who knows if you clicked the "send follow up comments in email" button.
One, I'm a little curious as to how you came across the link to this blog. I'm guessing it was facebook, and I'll most likely search and send you a message on there as well if it was.
I don't want you to be of the impression that I didn't enjoy the concert or that the concert itself was boring. I generally enjoy working concerts, and when I use the terms "sucked" and "boring", it is in the fact that sometimes I just don't want to be working. That is very contradictory, I know, but it had been a long and frustrating week, and my mind was racing with thoughts of my comp and other personal things, plus I was still getting over a rough sinus infection. The "sucked" and "boring" are in no way a comment on the quality of the concert--in fact it was one of the more enjoyable concerts I have worked here, honestly-I particularly liked the closing piece. I am always interested in the work I do, and take it very seriously, because I don't generally agree to do work I don't want to do--it's just that sometimes we all wish we were somewhere else (namely-curled up on a futon vegged out).
In regards to the relationship between the music department and the theatre, it is sad. And very frustrating as a student. This particular experience was not one of the instances when people are ungrateful or demanding. The negative relationship is generally Madrigal specific or in communication and expectations between the two. As I said, the most recent Claricello experience was one of the most easy going and gratifying concerts I have worked.
I know this is all hard to believe after reading what you commented to, but its true. Plus emotional or reactive posts in my blog are usually that-emotional and reactive and heat of the moment comments.
Thanks, and good luck with the rest of your concerts.
Carole Deeter
Jason, I didn't reread through the post entirely. The part that reads "Today was the concert. Blah. And rehearsal. It was bad. I was way off. Distracted by the stupid Claricello stuff," The rehearsal is a rehearsal for my senior comprehensive, and the distraction was that whenever I make a mistake or two working, I tend to dwell on it for the rest of the day--thinking about what I should have done, or how I could have been better. So "stupid Claricello stuff" is "stupid mistakes I made that occupied my mind for the rest of the evening." For some reason, it's my nature to dwell on certain mistakes or things that went wrong.
Post a Comment